Monday, November 22, 2010

KCC: Releno - Stuffed Red Chili

When I was younger, my Mom used to stuff red bell peppers with pork mince, and I never liked them. I found the bell pepper too thick and too strong tasting even with dashings of ketchup.  Whilst shopping today, I wondered if I could recreate the dish I despise with something of sweeter taste, like the long sweet red chillies.  The size of the chilli didn't scare me, because heat and size are inversely related to each other. 

So, I tried it with the recipe that follows below, and I surprised myself that I enjoyed it very much. The chillies weren't hot and gave a hint of sweetness. Because the chillies were flat, it was very easy to pan fry them (actually burnt the bottom but that gave more flavour) and meat to red chilli ratio was just right.

STUFFED RED CHILLIES

2 long red chillies
200 g lean pork mince
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 small tomato
1 tsp soy sauce
black pepper and salt
1 egg, beaten

Saute the garlic and tomatoes. Add the pork and seasonings, and brown until cooked. Take off from heat. Split the two chillies lengthwise, and remove seeds.  Add the beaten egg to cooled meat filling.  Spread a quarter of the meat mixture on one chilli half.  Just before pan frying, dust the meat filling with cornflour.  Place a lid over the frying pan to assist cooking the chillies. Flip carefully to cook the meat side.

9 comments:

Annie said...

That looks great, Jen. They actually taste good slightly burnt!

Trisha said...

Mmmmmm this is something I would probably love to eat, with heaps and heaps of tomato sauce! Love the addition of pork too!

chef_d said...

Haven't tried stuffed chilies yet, but I'm sure they're delicious! Good job!

cusinera said...

I remember this...my mom use to make them but with small half capsicums..I love the combination of the pork and the sweetness of the chillies...and I do agree with Annie about the slightly burnt..it gives that smokey flavour to it=)

mommy j said...

Thanks all! I was thinking of roasting the chillies first,but I didn't think it would work. Good thing when I fried the chillies the skin blackened a bit ;-)

Oggi said...

I have to try this as I've never made red pepper rellenos. They look pretty and delicious.:)

Caroline said...

I remember having these as a child and didn't like the peppers much but appreciate them now.

Trissa said...

It was great to meet you the other day Jen! What did your kids end up cooking for you? This looks like a great "relleno" dish - I love spicy food.

mommy j said...

@ oggi - thanks for nice comments!!!
@ caroline - I now appreciate a lot of food I didn't like when I was younger. I should've known better to follow the wiser;-)
@ trissa - Matt & his dad pan-fried sword fish steaks topped w/ olives, garlic and mint(!).I appreciate 100% the effort ;-) Nice to meet u too!