My two young boys both love lumpiang shanghai, and who wouldn't when it's super crunchy when fried. However, I rarely cook that now, because I want to prepare healthier (low fat) options for them. So, I took this KCC opportunity to experiment on cooking a healthier version of this favourite fried dish - Baked Lumpiang Shanghai.
For the recipe, follow my first post of
lumpiang shanghai here. Lightly brush the spring roll wrapper with canola oil. Place meat mixture (about as thick as a thumb) at the bottom edge of wrapper and roll. Position the spring rolls over a rack (so that they won't sweat and stick on tray) on a baking tray, and ensure to leave space in between the spring rolls. I brushed the spring rolls with oil to help it brown, but I found that it didn't really brown much. Perhaps next time brushing with beaten egg will give more brown results. Bake in 180C oven for 10-15 min.
The verdict: The outside and ends are crispy, but the inside was not as crunchy as I hoped. My two young boys ate them like they didn't know the difference between baked and fried, and they'll like them as long as they eat them with tomato sauce (ketchup). Overall, I'm pleased with the experiment, because a) for 1/2 kg meat mixture (or 20 spring rolls) I only used 1.5 Tb of oil for brushing and b) my house didn't smell of fried oil the whole night.
Kulinarya Cooking Club - August Challenge (Lumpia)
7 comments:
I always wanted to "experiment" on baking lumpiang shanghai... and here you are doing the experiment for me haha... thanks Jen, at least now I know. Baking it also cuts cooking time.. right? Thanks for joining this month's Kulinarya theme!
Malou
An A+ for the baked lumpia experiment! This is the only downside of lumpiang shanghai, but the crunchiness is worth the deep frying.
Yum, a healthier version of lumpiang shanghai! Good job!
A great idea of baking lumpiang shanghai, so much healthier I wouldn't feel guilty eating these! Maybe cut them in shorter lengths next time so they would crisp up all the way? Will definitely make these since my kids have been asking for some lumpia.
Hi Caroline,
Oooh, love that idea of baking them shorter - that way more cruncy parts, less of the middle sections ;-)
Hi Annie,
Yay, an A+! I passed!
Hi Chef D,
THanks for the nice comments!
Hi Skip to Malou,
Oh, yes it did shorten my cooking time. Set and forget for 10-15 ;-)
a-ha! your back! this is a very interesting way to cook lumpia. i call this the sexy lumpia. you may want to turn on the oven fan for this to have a little brown and have the heat seep more into them. but i love the concept. a little experiment in the kitchen wouldn't hurt. yes?
I never tried baking springrolls yet, thanks for showing us it can be done=) They look crunchy to me, and I do agree with the kids with the tomato sauce...yum!
Post a Comment