Sunday, May 23, 2010

Kulinarya Cooking Club - Lola's Pancit

Here's my very first challenge for Kulinarya Cooking Club, and I already have a confession to make: I'm a rice girl!  I love rice and from time to time love things eaten with bread or with pasta, but I hardly look forward to eating asian noodles.  Only in the last few years that I've been cooking noodles, because I've been exposed and drawn to the spicy and flavoursome Malaysian/Singaporean noodle dishes, like laksa, char keow teow, mamak mee goreng and mee siam.  My children, on the other hand, love ALL noodles, so I'll post here my mom's pancit that she cooks for my children.  

3 cakes of fried yellow noodles*(Ayam brand)
100 g sotanghon
2 cups of shredded cooked chicken breast or chicken meat from frames
1 L chicken stock**
5 cups cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, julienned
1 brown onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T fish sauce
2 T soy sauce
white or black pepper
and of course calamansi (or lemon) to serve

Saute garlic and onion.  Add the vegetables and chicken. Set aside.  Place chicken stock in pot and add the instant noodles one at a time until it partially softens. Do the same for the sotanghon.  Once all the noodles are partially cooked, transfer everything in the pot. Season and cook a little longer together until noodles are cooked and the stock evaporates until noodles are not too wet. Be careful not to over mix and over cook otherwise the noodles will break.

* instant noodles that come without the seasonings
**chicken stock: Boil 3 chicken frames/bones in approximately 1.5 L of water. Once it boils, lower heat to simmer for an hour. Collect chicken meat from the bones and put aside. Strain the chicken stock, and place in refrigerator until fat settles and solidifies. Discard solidified fat.

10 comments:

chef_d said...

I'm a rice girl too! In fact I ate rice with the pancit canton I cooked for this month's theme... Your pancit looks yummy!

TaGa_Luto said...

I will let you in to an "open" secret, my family serves pancit w/ rice and sometimes make pancit as a sandwich filling. It's so good in between 2 slices of white bread. I like your pancti version as well.

mommy j said...

Actually, I was recently surprised to discover that my mom and aunt love to eat pancit with bread! They said it's a very common filipino combination ;-)

Cherrie Pie said...

I'm a rice girl too and I have to agree with taga_luto, my dad sometimes has his pancit with rice. hehe... Yummy looking pancit

Caroline said...

I guess it's not so uncommon to have rice or bread with pancit because I am guilty of doing the same thing! Thanks for sharing your mom's pancit recipe.

Olive said...

Welcome to KCC! :) I love rice too, in our family just like Pia's we eat pancit with rice and with bread too as "palaman"..yum! :)

your pancit looks delicious :)

cusinera said...

I love char keow teow and mee goreng too:) I like your pancit, looks really nice, will try to cook this to my 2 chikitings:)

Trissa said...

Congratulations on your first Kulinarya challenge!! I have a confession to make too - I also am a rice girl - but your noodles would definitely make me a convert!

ziggy said...

Hello Jen! Hello Ladies. I love the Kulinarya Cooking Club. If you would permit me, I will feature all your pansit recipes at myfilipinokitchen.

It's so wonderful that you are carrying on your Lola's legacy with this pansit recipe. I have linked you up Jen.

http://www.myfilipinokitchen.com/links/filipino-food-blogs-from-the-australia-and-the-pacific/

And it's been quite a while since you've updated your blog! haha!

Ninette said...

Mmm, just came home from a late work event, and boy this would hit the spot!